Methylation acts as an on/off switch that allows the body to learn how to respond to environmental change. It represents the only cellular pathway that effects both adaptability and structural integrity of the body. Like the simple water molecule, methyl groups are necessary for life. This pathway is directly related to most major chronic conditions:
Heart disease, Stroke, Cancer, Diabetes, MS ,ALS, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease , CFS/FM, Mitochondrial disease,SLE, neural tube defects, Miscarriages, Down's syndrome, Bipolar disorder, Schizophrenia, Repair of tissue damage,Proper immune function, The aging process, and Autism.
methylation [meth??-la´shun] the addition of methyl groups.
The issue of a person being an under or over methylator can be confusing. It may not be one of the all time critically defining issues, but it may help in the general sense. Several common supplements often recommended for those with autism spectrum conditions are involved in this process (this is just one of the processes these supplements may help with).
"Methylation" is not just one specific reaction. There are hundreds of "methylation" reactions in the body. Methylation is simply the adding or removal of the methyl group to a compound or other element.
So why do we care about methylation at all? In general, when some compounds receive a methyl group, this "starts" a reaction (such as turning a gene on or activating an enzyme). When the methyl group is "lost" or removed, the reaction stops (or a gene is turned off or the enzyme is deactivated). Some of the more relevant methylation reactions would be:
1. getting methyl groups "turns on" detox reactions that detox the body of chemicals, including phenols. So if you are phenol sensitive, and you increase your methylation, then theoretically your body can process more phenols and you can eat fruits without enzymes!
2. getting methyl groups "turns on" serotonin, and thus melatonin, production. Therefore, if you are a under-methylator, you can increase your methylation and have higher more appropriate levels of serotonin and melatonin. This means you may not have to take SSRIs, or may have improved sleep.
3. if you are an over-methylator you can take certain supplements to decrease methylation and perhaps turn off reactions that need to be off. This may decrease aggression or hyperness, for example.
This is the general idea. To what extent this actually works in real life for any individual is back to "every one is different." But this is one thing that the Pfeiffer Treatment Center really looks at. I hope this explanation helps.
Something to note is that everyone is not EITHER an over OR under methylator. There are more groups than that, and you may be just fine in regards to methylation. Even if the Pfeiffer statistic is exactly correct when they say 45% are under-methylators and 15% are over-methylators, that totals 60%, so almost half the people are neither.
HOW TO HELP
As a solution, our unique topical delivery system, assures that our pharmaceutical grade Neuro-methylation Cream promotes and enhances the methylation processes needed to improve the production of glutathione, increase Vitamin D levels and allow maximum B12, B6 and vitamin delivery to the nervous and immune systems. This potent nutrient-rich cream can help maximize and aid in:
Mood Improvement & Stabilization Mental Focus & Concentration Organization Skills 5 MTHR Mutation Short Term Memory Loss
Cerebral Folate Deficiency Hormonal Regulation Sleep Patterns Immune Function
Such nutrients as Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate (B6) and Vitamin B12 in a methylated form called methylcobalamin (Methyl B12) and hydroxycobalamin (Hydroxy B12) and natural Vitamin D assist the body neurologically and physically. The advantage of using a topical cream is that it is delivered immediately into the skin, bypassing any mal-absorption problems of the gastrointestinal tract, which can be a common occurrence when the body is toxic or has gastrointestinal issues. In addition to assisting in detoxification and neuro-immune support, this topical cream is designed to work with the body to assist with oxidative stress, auto-immune diseases and sensory overload.